Clemson heads to Tallahassee this weekend for what is arguably the Tigers biggest series of the season.
After knocking off the Gamecocks on Tuesday night, Clemson has risen to No. 47 in the RPI and were projected as a three-seed in the regional round of the NCAA Tournament even before the win over South Carolina.
The Seminoles come in ranked as high as No. 10 in the polls but just No. 40 in the RPI and a series win would make the Clemson resume look that much better.
Florida State is only two games ahead of Clemson in the ACC Atlantic standings, meaning not only could this series impact where the Tigers land as far as the regionals go, but it could also have an effect on seeding in the upcoming ACC Tournament.
The Tigers come in having won eight of their past eleven. However, Clemson was swept last weekend at Georgia Tech, dropping the team to just 5-12 on the road this season, while the Seminoles come in 16-12 at home.
One of the keys to the Tigers success in the series will be getting off to a good start and that means Mack Anglin must rebound from an uncharacteristically bad outing in Atlanta last weekend. Anglin, who had walked just 16 hitters all season, walked 8 in 4 innings of work. The hard-throwing redshirt freshman needs to return to form and try and keep the Seminoles from gaining any early momentum.
The Tigers are also hoping that freshman Caden Grice can break out of his recent slump. Since his monster weekend in a three-game sweep of Louisville two weeks ago, Grice is just 1-19 at the plate.
Press Release/CU Athletic Communications
• Who – Clemson (23-21, 15-15 ACC) vs. Florida State (26-18, 17-13 ACC)
• Best Ranking – CU – NR; FSU – No. 10 Perfect Game
• When – Friday (6 p.m.), Saturday (2 p.m.), Sunday (1 p.m.)
• Where – Tallahassee, Fla. (Dick Howser Stadium)
• Watch – ACC Network (Friday), ACC Network Extra (Saturday, Sunday)
• Video Announcers (Friday) – Danny Graves, Mark Neely
• Video Announcers (Saturday) – Chip Baker, Shawn Davison, Trevor DeGroot
• Video Announcers (Sunday) – Chip Baker, Shawn Davison
• Listen (Radio) – WCCP (105.5 FM)
• Listen (Internet) – ClemsonTigers.com
• Live Stats – ClemsonTigers.com
• Social Media – ClemsonBaseball
• Overall Record – Florida State leads 79-69-1 (1958-19)
• Record at Florida State – Florida State leads 42-20-1 (1962-19)
• Friday – RHP Mack Anglin (CU) vs. LHP Bryce Hubbart (FSU)
• Saturday – LHP Keyshawn Askew (CU) vs. RHP Conor Grady (FSU)
• Sunday – TBA (CU) vs. TBA (FSU)
• Clemson, who has a 5-12 road record, defeated No. 16 South Carolina 7-2 at home on Tuesday night.
• The Tigers are averaging 5.8 runs per game and hitting .259 with a .424 slugging percentage, .366 on-base percentage and 33 steals.
• The pitching staff has a 4.53 ERA, .260 opponents’ batting average and 2.85 strikeout-to-walk ratio, and Clemson is fielding .967.
FLORIDA STATE OVERVIEW
• Florida State, who has a 16-12 home record, is led by second-year Head Coach Mike Martin Jr.
• The Seminoles split a two-game series against Florida Gulf Coast. They are hitting .241 and have a 3.23 ERA and .970 fielding percentage.
• Matheu Nelson is hitting .325 with 20 homers, 12 doubles and 58 RBIs, while Elijah Cabell is hitting .291 with 13 homers and 32 RBIs.
• Clemson is 12-3 against ACC Atlantic Division teams in 2021.
• Clemson is 18-1 when outhitting the opponent in the 2021 season.
• Clemson is 12-2 when committing exactly one error in 2021.
TAKING ONE FOR THE TEAM
• Clemson has an on-base percentage 107 points higher than its batting average thanks in large part to its 65 hit-by-pitches in 2021.
• Clemson is averaging 1.48 hit-by-pitches per game in 2021.
• The school record for hit-by-pitches (72) and hit-by-pitches per game (1.13) were both set by the 2016 team.
• At least one Tiger has been hit-by-pitch in each of the last 12 games, including nine of those games with multiple hit-by-pitches.
• Kier Meredith (14) and Bryce Teodosio (12) are the team leaders in hit-by-pitches. Meredith’s total is tied for sixth most in Tiger history.
• Khalil Greene owns the Clemson record for hit-by-pitches in a season with 21 in 2001.