This fall there will be so many things to look for. Will Trevor Lawrence (TL) get off to a better start as far as interceptions thrown than last season? Will Travis Etienne (ETN) shatter the record books as expected? Will Justyn Ross have a better year than he did during his sophomore season? Will Xavier Thomas (XT) become the defensive juggernaut that most expected him to become last season?
Along with these questions come the ones about incoming players and the offensive line after losing four starters. Let’s look at a few exciting things to watch. Here are some of the players that should be interesting to watch in the spring, throughout fall camp and into the season.
- Many are watching Bryan Bresee and the hype makes it even more exciting, while helping the anticipation to grow. He’s just a freshman who has not even seen live action to this point, but many are ready to see just how much of an impact this beast of a young man can have.
- Many are ready to see if E.J. Williams can make an immediate impact on this offense. He comes from Alabama just like Justyn Ross, and many feel he has as much, if not more, skill as Ross. With the departure of Tee Higgins, he could get more looks than he would have otherwise. It’s gonna be interesting to see how he fits into the 2020 plans.
- Myles Murphy is another defensive end that fans can’t wait to see. Can he make an impact on a team that needs pass rushers? The jury is still out, but the future looks really bright on paper. One thing about practice at Clemson, players have to give it their all because they are practicing against the best. That should help Murphy get ready a lot quicker.
- Another group of players to watch will be the offensive line (OL). The Tigers lost a great deal of experience this season but the talent level is still there. Depending on how fast and well the OL gels will go along way in helping Clemson get back to the playoff. Jackson Carman will anchor the OL this year and that will be helpful because he’s been in the trenches and knows what it takes to win.
- Another player that fans can’t wait to get their eyes on is Demarkcus Bowman. Many, including Dabo, are comparing him to another Clemson great out of Florida, C.J. Spiller. He was not an early signee so it will be really interesting to see how much of an impact he will be able to make early. No matter how early it is Clemson fans will be excited when they see him step into the lineup.
- Quarterback you say? Why would you even discuss that position with the possible #1 overall draft pick sitting in that position going into this coming season? Well, because DJ Uiagalelei signed early and has already impressed many during spring practice. The future is really bright for the Tigers at QB. Can DJ make a huge impact this coming season? It’s doubtful, barring an injury to Trevor Lawrence, but many are ready to see what this kid will bring to the table when he does get his shot.
So much talent coming in and what makes it even more exciting is what Dabo continues to tell us. That is that the best is yet to come. With each passing season we have seen this become a reality.
While records continue to fall and wins continue to rack up for the Tigers, at the same time the coaching staff at Clemson seems to set the bar a little higher each year.
Can the Tigers win another title this year? With all of the variables that go into it there’s no way to know but one thing is sure, Dabo and the Tigers are putting themselves in a position to give it a run not only this coming season but in the seasons to come.