Tigers win sixth straight in the series
Clemson went into Willy B this afternoon and put it on South Carolina, and in dominating fashion 38-3. The Tigers have now won six straight in the series, surpassing the five straight UofSC won 2009-13. It’s the longest streak for either team in the series since Clemson reeled off seven straight from 1934-40.
Some instant reactions:
- Trevor Lawrence was a little off early, starting off just 2-5. However, he found his rhythm after that opening drive, at one point setting a school record for consecutive completions in one game. He continued his stellar play over the last six weeks, finishing up 26-36 for 295 yards, with 3 TDs and 0 INTs. He also added 66 rushing yards, which led the team. Oh, and he did all that in just over three quarters of action.
- Over 500 yards of offense against that “SEC Defense.” #ItJustMeansMore
- No turnovers.
- Clemson possessed the ball for over 35 minutes. Dominance.
- The Tigers were 12-16 on 3rd down. That’s imposing your will.
- Two 100 yard receivers. Higgins and Ross top the century mark.
- The UofSC DL is probably the second best front four Clemson has seen this season. Rushing yards were hard to come by, especially early on. As the game went on, the Tigers started softening it up a little but the Gamecocks never seemed to get gassed like they have in recent games. Clemson still rushed for over 200 yards and more than 5 YPC.
- ETN had just 51 yards on 15 carries. That’s just 3.4 YPC. An example of how solid that UofSC DL can be at times. His rushing TD in the 4th quarter gives him sole possession of the all time record for rushing TDs in the ACC.
- That defense though… outside of that one drive that resulted in a FG, this was a dominant effort. Make that twelve straight teams that Clemson has held to under 300 yards of total offense. Every team in the regular season. I don’t care who is on the schedule, that’s impressive and probably won’t be duplicated anytime soon.
- The Tigers held them to just 174 total yards and they were just 5-15 on 3rd down. Hillinksi was just 16-27 for only 105 yards. UofSC averaged just 2.7 YPC on the ground. Domination.
- The lone bright spot for the Gamecocks was Tavien Feaster. He had 12 carries for 47 yards playing against his former team. He led the team in rushing.
- Isaiah Simmons is the best player in the country. He should win the Butkus Award. Probably won’t, but he should. Dude was making plays all over the field today. Seeing him out there covering Shi Smith says it all about his abilities.
- How about Will Spiers? Three punts, all three downed inside the 20, and one going for 52 yards. An effective punter can be a great weapon.
- Hope Jackson Carman isn’t seriously injured. That’s a loss I’m not sure they could survive in the playoff.
- Not a big fan of the flea flicker call on the first play. Clemson is by far the better team and doesn’t need trickeration.
- On that note, would have much rather seen the “jumbo package” on that 4th & Goal from the 1 on the opening drive. Hindsight is 20/20 though.
- This team is playing its best ball at the right time. Sound familiar? The offense is humming, and it’s balanced. The defense is just nasty. Nobody wants to see Clemson in the semifinal round.
- Next up is UVA in Charlotte in the ACCCG. Early lines already have the Tigers favored by 4 TDs. QB Bryce Perkins is a baller, make no mistake but the Wahoo’s are a one man show on offense. Contain him and you’ve stopped them. They’re solid on defense though and well coached. #WhiteMeatTime
- It’s worth saying again….. SIX STRAIGHT!