Clemson rolls Wake 37-13 on Saturday night
The Tigers rolled into an empty Truist Field Saturday night and did not let that impact their play one bit. Clemson came out and proved just why they came into this season with the number one ranking. Even with missing starters on defense and breaking in four new starters on the offensive line the game didn’t even feel close after the second touchdown by Trevor Lawrence and company. Clemson ended up beating the Demon Deacons by a score of 37-13.
- Many Tiger fans were concerned after finding out that there were going to be players on defense missing. Derion Kendrick, Mario Goodrich, and Justin Foster were all out. This did not make very much difference in the way the defense performed.
- It didn’t take Bryan Bresee long at all to make his impact on the game getting his first career sack early in the first quarter. Technically they only gave him half a sack but who’s keeping count?
- How many Tiger fans would have thought Trevor Lawrence’s first two touchdowns on the 2020 season would have come on rushes and not through the air?
- Braden Galloway looked very good and gave the offense exactly what many Clemson fans have been hoping to see since Jordan Leggett left for the NFL…a consistent option at tight end. He had five catches for 60 yards on the night. The five catches were tied for a team high.
- Myles Murphy got the first two sacks of his college career and showed why he was so highly ranked leading the team with seven tackles.
- It is still awesome to watch Travis Etienne run. He just is so hard to take down and especially by the first guy and that was no different in this game.
- The Tigers defense as a whole, especially with all of the players that were out, looked really good coming into the game.
- The biggest question mark coming into this game for the Clemson offense was the line and they looked like a veteran squad instead of one that was replacing four of their five starters.
- Great seeing how well Trevor Lawrence came out in this game. He was on target and really in sync with Amari Rodgers, who had five catches for 90 yards in the game. Lawrence was 22 of 28 for 367 yards and one touchdown while adding two rushing touchdowns before exiting the game in the third quarter.
- D.J. Uiagalelei looked good in his first college game going 2 of 3 for 16 yards in his limited action.
- Clemson now runs it’s streak to 12 in a row over Wake Forest and keeps head coach Dabo Swinney undefeated against them. Swinney is also 11-1 in openers as head coach.
- The Tigers racked up 561 total yards versus the Demon Deacons in the win.
- It was good to see J.C. Chalk get his first career touchdown.
- Travis Etienne put in another great performance with a 102 yards on 17 carries and one touchdown.