Clemson opened the 2019 season in dominating fashion by beating Georgia Tech 52-14 and spoiling head coach Geoff Collins debut as Yellow Jackets coach. After coming in as 36.5 point favorites, the Tigers do indeed cover the number.
- After a slow start, the offensive line started to find their groove run blocking as the team rushed for over 400 yards, with Etienne going for over 200 himself. The running backs had no shortage of holes to run through, as the offense had the inside running game working. The offensive line seemed to get better as the game went on. Even the two freshmen backs showed some promise.
- Trevor Lawrence looked a little rusty. Threw two uncharacteristic picks but let’s attribute that to first game rust.
- Very little effort put into attacking the Tech defense vertically. Expect that to change next week.
- The tackling on defense has to be better. Tech running backs ran through several “arm tackles” in this one.
- Isaiah Simmons looked every bit as good as expected. After having a year under his belt at the SAM, Simmons was all over the field. He’s exactly what you want in your nickelback.
- Nolan Turner had a great game too.
- Tyler Davis got the start at DT, and showed why the coaches heaped so much praise on him. Get used to seeing that kid, he’s going to be a good one.
- Watching live, it seems Baylon Spector played very well. Better than starter James Skalski. Might be something to keep an eye on as we get into the season.
- BT Potter is a weapon. His late 51 yard FG was the longest in six years for Clemson.
- For all the talk about how good Joseph Ngata has been at wideout, he looks like a weapon in the return game as evidenced by his 32 yard return to open the game.
- No injuries!
Overall, about what you’d expect in an opener against a less talented team. Not a lot shown on offense and some sloppiness that they got on film tonight that the coaches can use to teach from.
Goal number one can be crossed off the list, the opener was won. Now it gets real, quick. Texas A&M comes to The Valley next weekend then the team hits the road to face Syracuse in week three.