The first practice is in the books… photo by Getty Images
Today the Tigers practiced for the first time since spring, meaning the college football season is officially underway. Local media was allowed to watch the first few sessions and here are a few nuggets from practice reports.
– After much speculation regarding who would step into the slot in place of the injured Amari Rogers, the first guy out today was Diondre Overton. The idea of the Tigers lining up in their 11 personnel packages with trips, and having Tee Higgins and Justyn Ross on the outside, with Overton on the inside, should have fans salivating. Talk about a nightmare on opposing coaching staffs.
– Of the two freshmen running backs, it seems Michael Dukes might be a little closer than Chez Melussi, but there’s still a long ways to go. Neither back enrolled early and have a lot to digest in a short amount of time. With Tavien Feaster gone, the team needs one of those guys to step up and contribute.
– Freshman Greg Williams was taking reps at defenseive end after being signed as a linebacker. Williams was 236 lbs at the weigh in and at 6’4 has plenty of frame to add more weight. He’s likely looking at a redshirt but interesting to note what future plans for him may be.
– As expected, Derion Kendrick took first team reps at corner. Freshman Sheridan Jones was taking second team reps.
– Multiple reports say Aiden Swanson had a very good day punting, while Will Spiers was up and down. This is a battle that could go on for awhile, as it won’t be easy for the freshman to unseat the incumbent Spiers.
– Freshmen Andrew Booth and Michael Dukes, along with Lyn J Dixon returned punts. K’Von Wallace did some return work as well.
– As expected, Mike Jones Jr was taking second team reps at the SAM.